In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Michaelston le Pit like this:
MICHAELSTONE-LE-PIT, or LLAN FIHANGELYNYGVAELOD, a parish in Cardiff district, Glamorgan; near the coast, 3 ½ miles SW of Cardiff r. station. Posttown, Cardiff. Acres, 790. Real property, £672. Pop., 73. Houses, 18. The property is divided among a few. Limestone abounds, and lead ore is found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £65. Patron, T. B. Rouse, Esq. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Michaelston le Pit has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of The Vale of Glamorgan. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Michaelston le Pit and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Michaelston le Pit in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Michaelston le Pit".