Place:


Great Holland  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Holland like this:

HOLLAND (GREAT), a parish in Tendring district, Essex; on Holland brook and on the coast, 1 mile S of Kirby r. station, 4 SW of Walton steamboat pier, and 16 ESE of Colchester. Post town, Kirby-le-Soken, under Colchester. Acres, 2, 083; of which 20 are water. Real property, £3, 788. Pop., 467. ...


Houses, 101. The manor and the Hall farm belonged to Samuel Travers, Esq.; and the Hall farm and rents of other lands in the neighbourhood were left by him for the maintenance of seven superannuated navy lieutenants, who are known as the college of naval knights, Windsor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £700.* Patron, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church, with the exception of the tower, was taken down in 1865; and the nave and chancel have been rebuilt, with the addition of a N aisle. A national school was built in 1862.

Great Holland through time

Great Holland is now part of Tendring district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tendring has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Holland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Holland, in Tendring and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6800

Date accessed: 14th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Holland ".