In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Meliden like this:
MELIDEN, a township and a parish in the district of St. Asaph and county of Flint. The township lies on the coast and on the Chester and Holy head railway, 2 miles SW of Prestatyn r. station, and 4½ N by E of St. Asaph. The parish contains also the townships of Nant and Prestatyn, the latter of which has a post office under Rhyl. Acres, 4,722; of which 3,115 are water. Real property, £12,920; of which £.9,452 are in mines. Pop., 1,250. Houses, 292. The property is divided among a few. Nant was a seat of the Conways; and Prestatyn had formerly a castle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Valne, £183.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church is good. 'T he vicarage of Prestatyn is a separate benefice. Bouchery's charity for four clergymen yields £75 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Meliden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Denbighshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Meliden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Meliden, in Denbighshire and Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Meliden".