In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Leighs like this:
LEIGHS (LITTLE), a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex; on the river Ter, 5 miles SW of Braintree r. sta tion, and 7 NNE of Chelmsford. Post town, Great Leighs, under Chelmsford. Acres, 1,080. Real property, £2,156. Pop., 171. Houses, 33. The property is diVided among a few. A priory of Black canons was founded here in the time of Henry III., by Ralph de Geinon; was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Richard Rich; was converted by him into a splendid mansion; passed to the Duke of Buckingham; belongs now to Guy s hospital; and has left extensiVe and interesting remains. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £400. * Patron, the Rev. JohnGreen. The church is a small building, with a wooden spire.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Little Leighs has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chelmsford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Little Leighs and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Leighs, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Little Leighs".