In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described High Laver like this:
LAVER (HIGH), a parish in Ongar district, Essex; 4 miles N by W of Ongar, and 4½ SE by E of Harlow r. station. Post town, Ongar, under Brentwood. Acres, 1,894. Real property, £3, 024. Pop., 471. Houses, 95. The property is subdivided. The parish is a meet for the Essex hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £500.* Patron, Capt. Budworth. The church is a plain low building, with tile roof, brick tower, and wooden spire; and contains a brass of 1500. The churchyard contains the grave of the philosopher John Locke, who resided in the parish during most of the last fourteen years of his life, and died at Oates manor house, then the seat of Sir Francis Masham.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing High Laver has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Epping Forest. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering High Laver and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of High Laver, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "High Laver".