Place:


Latton  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Latton like this:

LATTON, a parish, with a village, in Epping district, Essex; on the river Stort and the Eastern Counties railway, at the boundary with Herts, 1 mile E by S of Burnt-Mill r. station, and 1½ SW of Harlow. Post-town. Harlow. Acres, 1,605. Real property, £3,078. Pop., 196. Houses, 45. ...


The property is divided among a few. An Augustinian priory was founded here before 1276; was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Henry Parker; and has left some remains, in decorated English architecture, now used as a barn. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £480.* Patron, L. Arkwright, Esq. The church is good, has a tower, and contains three old brasses.

Latton through time

Latton is now part of Harlow district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harlow has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Latton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Latton, in Harlow and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6771

Date accessed: 17th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Latton ".