In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Carmarthen like this:
Carmarthen, or Caermarthen, co. town of Carmarthenshire, and co. of itself, parl. and mun. bor., par., and port, on river Towy, 5 miles from C. Bay, 28 miles NW. of Swansea, and 242 miles from London by rail -- par. and bor., 4996 ac., pop. 10,514; 3 Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. C. was the Maridunum of the Romans, and under the native princes the capital of South Wales. On the site of its ancient castle now stands the county gaol. It possesses several important educational institutions, among which are 2 grammar-schools on public foundations, and the South Wales Training College for Teachers. ...
C. carries on considerable trade by river and rail in slates, lead-ore, and tin-plates, besides domestic produce. Vessels of 200 tons can reach the quay, but much of the former river traffic has been diverted by the better access to Llanelly. The salmon fishery is important. C., which gives the title of marquis to the Duke of Leeds, unites with Llanelly in returning 1 member to Parliament.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Carmarthen has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Carmarthenshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Carmarthen and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carmarthen in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Carmarthen".