In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sible Hedingham like this:
HEDINGHAM-SIBLE, a village and a parish in Halstead district, Essex. The village stands adjacent to the river Colne and the Colne-Valley railway, near CastleHedingham r. station, 3¼ miles NW of Halstead; and has a post office under Halstead, a public reading room and library, and a fair on Easter Tuesday. The parish comprises 5, 394 acres. Real property, £10, 998. Pop., 2, 123. Houses, 508. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to Robert Bigod, and passed to the De Veres. ...
Upwards of 40 acres are under hops. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £905. * Patron, the Rev. H. Warburton. The church is decorated English, in good condition; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains memorials of Sir John Hawkhood, who figured as a warrior in the time of Edward III., and was a native of the parish. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, an ancient chantry house now used as an alms house, and charities £76.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sible Hedingham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Braintree. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sible Hedingham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sible Hedingham, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sible Hedingham".