In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fordham like this:
FORDHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Lexden district, Essex. The village stands near the left bank of the river Colne, 2½ miles E by S of Chapel r. station, and 5 NW by W of Colchester. The parish comprises 2, 517 acres. Post town, West Bergholt, under Colchester. Real property, £4, 095. Pop., 782. Houses, 178. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £740.* Patron, alt. Countess Cowper andS. Onley, Esq. The church is later English; has a tower; and was restored in 1861. There are a chapel of Lady Huntingdon's Connexion, and charities £83. -The sub-district contains eight parishes. Acres, 15, 925. Pop., 4, 621. Houses, 1, 008.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Fordham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Colchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Fordham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fordham, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th February 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fordham".