Place:


Fingringhoe Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fingringhoe like this:

FINGRINGHOE, a village and a parish in Lexden district, Essex. The village stands on the river Roman, near its influx to the Colne, 2 miles W by S of Wivenhoe r. station, and 4 SSE of Colchester; and has a post office under Colchester, and a fair on Easter Monday. The parish comprises 2, 913 acres of land, and 520 of water. Real property, £4, 270. Pop., 670. Houses, 108. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £140. Patron, the Rev. J. M. Leir. The church has a brass of 1610, and is very good. Charities, £36.

Fingringhoe through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Fingringhoe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Colchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Fingringhoe and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fingringhoe, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6709

Date accessed: 03rd September 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fingringhoe".