In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Felsted like this:
FELSTEAD, a village and a parish in Dunmow district, Essex. The village stands near the river Chelmer, and near the Braintree railway, 3½ miles ESE of Dunmow; and has a st. on the railway, and a post office‡ under Chelmsford. The parish comprises 6, 247 acres. Real property, £10, 784. Pop., 1,804. Houses, 401. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £500.* Patron, Earl Cowley. The church is partly Saxon, has a tower, and needs restoration. There is an Independent chapel. A free grammar school for boys, natives of Essex, is here; has an income of upwards of £2, 000 from funds left by Lord Rich in 1554; and, since a settlement in chancery in 1852, has been under the control of a board of trustees.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Felsted has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Uttlesford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Felsted and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Felsted, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Felsted".