In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Faulkbourne like this:
FAULKBOURN, a parish in Witham district, Essex; on the river Brain, adjacent to the Braintree railway, 2½ miles NW of Witham. It has a post office under Witham. Acres, 1, 151. Real property, £2, 139. Pop., 143. Houses, 31. The manor belonged to Hamo Dapifer, and went to the Fortescues. Faulkbourn Hall, now the seat of the Rev. W. T. Bullock, was originally built in 1440, by Sir R. Montgomery; retains a Norman tower, with polygonal turrets, having pyramidal crocketted canopies and bartisans; forms, on the west of the entrance-tower, three sides of a quadrangle; contains a fine collection of pictures by Vandyke, Vandervelde, and Beechy: and is said to occupy the site of a Roman villa. ...
A cedar here has a girth of 18½ feet. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £267.* Patron, the Rev. W. T. Bullock. The church is Norman; 1ias two brasses of the 16th century; and is good. Charities, £7.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Faulkbourne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Braintree. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Faulkbourne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Faulkbourne, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Faulkbourne".