Place:


Monk Bretton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monk Bretton like this:

BRETTON (Monk), a township and a chapelry in Roystone parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township is also called Burton; lies on the Barnesley canal, 1 mile from Cudworth r. station, and 2 NE of Barnesley; includes the villages of Burton-Grange, Cliff-Bridge, Littleworth, Old Mill, and Smithies; and has a post office, of the name of Monk-Bretton, under Barnesley. ...


Acres, 2,050. Real property, £6,923. Pop., 1,918. Houses, 407. A Cluniac monastery was founded at Burton-Grange, in the time of Henry II., by Adam Fitz-Swain. The chapelry is more extensive than the township. Pop., 2,439. Houses, 526. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Royston. The church was built in 1839. There are a school-church, three Methodist chapels, a national school, six alms-houses, and other charities £36.

Monk Bretton through time

Monk Bretton is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Monk Bretton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monk Bretton, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/67

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Monk Bretton ".