In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Easton like this:
EASTON (Great), a parish in Dunmow district, - Essex; on the river Chelmer, 3 miles NNW of Dunmow r. station, and 6¼ E by N of Stanstead. It has a post office under Dunmow. Acres, 2, 532. Real property, £3, 885. Pop., 891. Houses, 203. The property is subdivided. Easton Lodge is the seat of Viscount Maynard. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £596.* Patron, Viscount Maynard. The church is tolerable. Meade's school has £61 from endowment; and other charities have £12.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Easton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Uttlesford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Easton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Easton, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Easton".