Place:


Downham  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Downham like this:

DOWNHAM, a parish in Billericay district, Essex; near the river Crouch, 4 miles E of Billericay, and 5 N of Pitsea r. station. Post town, Wickford, under Chelmsford. Acres, 2, 223. Real property, £3, 047. Pop., 247. Houses, 52. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £402.* Patron, R. B. Berens, Esq. The church has a square embattled tower, and is good.

Downham through time

Downham is now part of Chelmsford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chelmsford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Downham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Downham, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6687

Date accessed: 12th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Downham ".