In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Doddinghurst like this:
DODDINGHURST, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; 4¼ miles N by W of Brentwood r. station, and 4½ SE by S of Ongar. Post town, Kelvedon Common, under Brentwood. Acres, 1,892. Real property, £3, 192. Pop., 394. Houses, 81. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £624.* Patron, W. Manbey, Esq. The church is good; and there are charities £15.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Doddinghurst has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Brentwood. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Doddinghurst and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Doddinghurst, in Brentwood and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Doddinghurst".