In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dedham like this:
DEDHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Lexden district, Essex. The village stands on the river Stour, in a fine valley, at the boundary with Suffolk, 2¾ miles N of Ardleigh r. station, and 3½ W by N of Manningtree; consists chiefly of one street; and has a post office‡ under Colchester, and a fair on Easter Tuesday. It was mentioned at Domesday; had a great clothing trade in the time of Richard II.; and was long a market-town. The parish comprises 2, 551 acres. ...
Real property, £8, 349. Pop., 1, 734. Houses, 402. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £170.* Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is later English, with a fine tower; and was restored in 1862. A lectureship rectory, endowed by Burkitt, the commentator, is a separate benefice. Value, £430.* Patron, the Governor of t he grammar-school. There is an Independent chapel. The grammar school was founded in 1571, and rebuilt in 1868; and it has £254 from endowment for ordinary uses, and £55 for exhibitions at St. John's college, Cambridge. Another school has £18. Dunton's alms-houses have £91; and other charities have £108. -The sub-district contains five parishes. Acres, 12, 642. Pop., 4, 553. Houses, 1, 032.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dedham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Colchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dedham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dedham, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dedham".