In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cressing like this:
CRESSING, a parish in Braintree district, Essex; adjacent to the river Brain and the Braintree railway, 3½ miles SE of Braintree. It has a post office under Braintree. Acres, 2, 357. Real property, £4, 591. Pop., 582. Houses, 138. The property is divided among a few. A preceptory of the Knights Templars, afterwards of the Knights Hospitallers, was at Cressing-Temple. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £220.* Patron, the Vicar of Witham. The church has the monument of a Nevill, and a brass; and is very good. There is an Independent chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cressing has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Braintree. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cressing and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cressing, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cressing".