In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanwnnog like this:
LLANWNOG, a parish and a sub-district in Newtown district, Montgomery. The parish lies on an affluent of the river Severn, and on the Roman road to Chester, 6 miles W by N of Newtown r. station; contains the hamlet of Caersws, which has a post office under Newtown, Montgomery; and contains also the townships of Esgob and Castle Surnant, Uchllawrcoed, and Weeg. Acres, 10,701. Real property, £7,498. Pop., 1,631. Houses, 283. The surface is hilly, rises to altitudes of 1,500 feet and upward, and includes three lakes. ...
Ancient British camps and other antiquities are on the hills. A Roman station was at Caersws. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £220.* Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is dedicated to StGwynog, and has an old screen. There are two Calvinistic Methodist chapels, and charities £10. The Newtown district workhouse also is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 134 inmates.The sub-district contains also four other parishes. Acres, 45,535. Pop., 4,802. Houses, 855.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llanwnnog has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Powys. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llanwnnog and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanwnnog, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llanwnnog".