In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heaton Norris like this:
HEATON-NORRIS, a town, a township, two chapelries, and a sub-district, in the parish of Manchester, the district of Stockport, and the county of Lancaster. The town is suburban to Stockport; stands on the verge of Lancashire, on the river Mersey, on the Northwestern railway, and on the Stockport and Altrincham Junction railway, at the terminus of the Ashton, Manchester, and Oldham canal, 5¾ miles SSE of Manchester; and has two railway stations, several good hotels, two churches, five dissenting chapels, two national schools, and numerous respectable residences. ...
Six bridges, and a foot one, connect it with Stockport. A viaduct, 1, 780 feet long, 108 feet high, with twenty-two arches, erected at a cost of £75, 000, takes the Northwestern railway across the Mersey. An extensive luggage depôt is connected with the Northwestern r. station. Christ Church was built in 1846; is a handsome edifice, in the pointed style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with an elegant spire. The Wycliffe Independent chapel is an ornamental Gothic structure. The town shares generally in the trade of Stockport; and has large cotton factories, iron foundries, machine works, rope walks, and saw mills -The township includes also the village of Heaton-Mersey, and is partly within Stockport borough. Acres, 2, 108. Real property, £52, 750. Pop. in 1851, 15, 697; in 1861, 16, 333. Houses, 3, 379. Pop. of the part within Stockport borough, 13, 838. Houses, 2, 922.- The two chapelries are Christchurch and St. Thomas; both were constituted in 1854; and the latter lies round Heaton-Chapel r. station. Post town of both, Stockport. Pop. in 1861, of Christchurch, 9, 625; of St. Thomas, 6, 179. Houses, 1, 970 and 1, 336. The livings are rectories in the diocese of Manchester. Value of Christchurch, £30;* of St. Thomas, £116. * Patron of the former, the Bishop of Manchester; of the latter, the Dean and Chapter of Manchester. An ancient chapelry of Heaton-Norris comprehends also what are now the chapelries of Reddish.The sub-district contains also the township of Reddish. Acres, 3, 649. Pop., 17, 696. Houses, 3, 659.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Heaton Norris has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stockport. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Heaton Norris and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heaton Norris, in Stockport and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Heaton Norris".