In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clavering like this:
CLAVERING, a parish and a hundred in Essex. The parish is in Saffron-Walden district; lies on the west border of the county, 3½ miles SW of Newport r. station, and 6½ SW by S of Saffron-Walden; and has a post office under Bishops-Stortford. Acres, 3, 798. Real property, £6, 464. Pop., 1, 0 47. Houses, 243. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged at Domesday to Suene; went to the Fitz-Rogers or Claverings, who had a castle on it; and passed, through the Nevilles and others, to the Barringtons. ...
The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Langley, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £491.* Patron, Christ's Hospital. The church has an effigies of a knight, a brass of the Welbores, and monuments of the Barlees; and was recently repaired. There are an Independent chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £19. The hundred contains six parishes and parts of two others. Acres, 13, 676. Pop., 4, 954. Houses, 1, 058.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Clavering has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Uttlesford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Clavering and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clavering, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 03rd December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Clavering".