In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Chesterford like this:
CHESTERFORD (Great), a village and a parish in Saffron-Walden district, Essex. The village stands at the verge of the county, on the river Granta, adjacent to the Eastern Counties railway, 4 miles NNW of Saffron-Walden; and has a station, of the name of Chesterford, on the railway, and a post office, of the name of Great Chesterford, under Saffron-Walden. It formerly was a market-town; and it still has a fair on 1 July. A Roman station was here; and Roman roads went hence to Chelmsford, Cambridge, and Ixworth. ...
Traces of Roman walls exist; vestiges of a Roman villa and a Roman temple were recently discovered; and many Roman coins, urns, and other relics have been found. The parish comprises 3, 030 acres. Real property, £5, 082. Pop., 1, 027. Houses, 215. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Little Chesterford, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £427.* Patron, the Marquis of Bristol. The church is large and good; had a chantry, founded by W. Howden; and contains two brasses. An endowed school has £41 a year; and other charities £99.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Chesterford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Uttlesford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Chesterford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Chesterford, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Chesterford".