In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bulphan like this:
BULPHAN, a parish in Orsett district, Essex; 3½ miles NW of Stanford-le-Hope r. station, and 6½ SSE of Brentwood. Post Town, Orsett, under Romford, London, E. Acres, 1,667. Real property, £2,212. Pop., 268. Houses, 57. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £342. Patron, J. S. Hand, Esq. The church is tolerable.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bulphan has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Thurrock. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bulphan and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bulphan, in Thurrock and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bulphan".