In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bradwell like this:
BRADWELL-NEXT-COGGESHALL, a parish in Braintree district, Essex; on the river Blackwater, 2 miles W of Coggeshall, and 4 E by S of Braintree r. station. Post Town, Coggeshall, under Kelvedon. Acres, 1,161. Real property, £2,058. Pop., 273. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Maxeys. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £258.* Patron, M. P.Brunwin, Esq. The church contains monuments of the Maxeys; and is good. Charities, £25.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bradwell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Braintree. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bradwell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bradwell, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bradwell".