In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bradfield like this:
BRADFIELD, a parish in Tendring district, Essex; on the estuary of the Stour, and on the Harwich branch of the Eastern Union railway, 3 miles E by S of Manningtree. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Manningtree. Acres, 2,719; of which 600 are water. Real property, £5,027. Pop., 914. Houses, 212. The property is subdivided. Bradfield Lodge is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Mistley, in the diocese of Rochester. The church is good. Speaker Grimston, of the time of Charle IIS., was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bradfield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Tendring. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bradfield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bradfield, in Tendring and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bradfield".