In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Boxted like this:
BOXTED, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the river Stour, 2 miles ESE of Neyland, and 5½ N of Colchester r. station. It has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 3,082. Real property, £5,019. Pop., 935. Houses, 219. Boxted Hall is the seat of the Poleys. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £110.* Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church has a curious monument of Sir J. Poley; and is very good. Charities, £10.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Boxted has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Colchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Boxted and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Boxted, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Boxted".