In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blackmore like this:
BLACKMORE, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; 3½ miles ESE of Chipping-Ongar r. station, and 4 NW by W of Ingatestone. It has a post office under Ingatestone, and a fair on 21 Aug. Acres, 2,576. Real property, £4,802. Pop., 644. Houses, 144. The property is divided among a few. An Augustinian priory was founded on the site of the manor house, by the De Sampfords, in the time of Henry II; passed, under Cardinal Wolsey, to his colleges at Oxford-and Ipswich, and afterwards to Waltham Abbey; and was given, at the dissolution, to John Smith. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £83. Patrons, the Representatives of the lateA. Crickett, Esq. The church belonged to the priory; and is ancient, small, and good. Charities, £54.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Blackmore has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Brentwood. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Blackmore and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blackmore, in Brentwood and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Blackmore".