In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Bergholt like this:
BERGHOLT (West), a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the river Colne, near the Eastern Counties railway, 4 miles NW of Colchester. It has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 2,273. Real property, £4,238. Pop., 906. Houses, 198. The property is subdivided. A circular entrenchment here is thought to have been the site of the residence of the British King, Cunobeline. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £600.* Patron, W. F. Hobbs, Esq. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Bergholt has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Colchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Bergholt and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Bergholt, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Bergholt".