In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Spennymoor like this:
SPENNYMOOR, a chapelry, with a village, in Whitworth parish, Durham; on the West Hartlepool railway, 4 miles NE of Bishop-Auckland. It has a r. station with telegraph, a post-office‡ under Ferryhill, a church, and four dissenting chapels; and is inhabited chiefly by colliers and foundry-men. The statistics are returned with the parish, and the living is annexed to Whitworth.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Spennymoor has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sedgefield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Spennymoor and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Spennymoor, in Sedgefield and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Spennymoor".