In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wootton like this:
WOOTTON, a parish in Dover district, Kent; 2½ miles WSW of Shepherds-Well r. station, and 7 NW of Dover. It has a post-office under Canterbury. Acres, 1,019. Real property, £1,370. Pop., 163. Houses, 29. The manor, with W. Court, belongs to J. Brydges, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £260.* Patron, J. Brydges, Esq. The church is early English.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wootton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dover. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wootton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wootton, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wootton".