In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Westwell like this:
WESTWELL, a village and a parish in West Ashford district, Kent. The village stands 3¾ miles N by W of Ashford r. station; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Ashford. The parish includes two hamlets, contains West Ashford workhouse, and comprises 5,199 acres. Real property, £5,933. Pop., 999. Houses, 186. The manor belonged to Christchurch, Canterbury; and passed to the Tuftons. Ripley Court was the seat of the Tuftons, but is now a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £300.* Patron, the Archbishop ofThe church is partly early English, and has a tower and spire. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £27.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Westwell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ashford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Westwell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westwell, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Westwell".