In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanharan like this:
LLANHARAN, a parish in Bridgend district, Glamorgan; on the river Ewenny and on the South Wales railway, 3 miles WNW of Llantrissant r. station, and 7¼ NE by E of Bridgend. Post town, Cowbridge. Acres, 3,050. Real property, £1,835. Pop., 299Houses, 57. The property is divided among a few. Llanharan House is a chief residence. Coal, limestone, iron, and lead are found. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Llanilid, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church was rebuilt in 1860; is in the geometric decorated style; and consists of nave and chancel, with vestry and bell-turret. Charities, £10.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llanharan has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Rhondda; Cynon; Taff. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llanharan and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanharan, in Rhondda; Cynon; Taff and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llanharan".