In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangynhafal like this:
LLANGANHAFAL, or LLANGYNHAFAI, a village and a parish in Ruthin district, Denbigh. The village stands under Moel-Famman mountain, 1¾ mile E of the river Clwyd, and 3 N by E of Ruthin r. station; and has a post office under Ruthin, Denbighshire. The parish is divided into the townships of Rhos, Hendre-Wydd, and Nant-y-Nef. Acres, 2,363. Real property, £2,556. Pop., 497. Houses, 115. The surface is hilly. MoelFamman has an altitude of 1,845 feet. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £407.* Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is dedicated t o St. Cynhaval.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llangynhafal has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Denbighshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llangynhafal and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangynhafal in Denbighshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llangynhafal".