In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Trottiscliffe like this:
TROTTERSCLIFFE, or Trosley, a parish in Malling district, Kent; 3 miles NW of West Malling, and 5 W by S of Snodland r. station. It has a post-office under Maidstone. Acres, 1,160. Real property, £1,969. Pop., 293. Houses, 65. The manor was given, in 788, to Rochester priory; passed to the Bishops of Rochester; and had a palace of theirs, built in 1185. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £356.* Patron, W. Shepherd, Esq. The church is ancient and modernized. There is an endowed school with £9 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Trottiscliffe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Tonbridge and Malling. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Trottiscliffe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Trottiscliffe, in Tonbridge and Malling and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Trottiscliffe".