In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tonge like this:
TONG, a parish in Milton district, Kent; 1½ mile E by N of Sittingbourne r. station. Post town, Sittingbourne. Acres, 1,883; of which 265 are water. Real property, £4,400. Pop., 277. Houses, 56. T. Castle dates from the earliest Saxon times; was the scene of a massacre of the ancient Britons, by the Saxons; belonged, in the time of Richard II., to Mortimer, Earl of March; and is now represented by a high moated mound. Checks Court is the seat of T. Lake, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £215.* Patron, the Rev. A. Baldwin. The church is partly Norman. Charities, £11.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tonge has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Swale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tonge and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tonge, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tonge".