In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swingfield like this:
SWINGFIELD, a parish, with a village, in Elham district, Kent; 3½ miles W by S of Ewell r. station, and 5 N of Folkestone. Post town, Canterbury. Acres, 2,638. Real property, £2,608. Pop., 418. houses, 70. A preceptory of the Knights of St. John was founded here in the time of Henry II., and has left interesting remains. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £54. Patron, the Rev. G.Lamotte. The church is good. Bishop Richard de Swingfield, who died in 1316, was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Swingfield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Shepway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Swingfield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swingfield, in Shepway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Swingfield".