In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanford like this:
STANDFORD, a parish, with a village and two hamlets, in Elham district, Kent; near Westonhanger r. station, 2½ miles NW by N of Hythe. It has a post-office under Hythe. Acres, 1,181. Real property, 1,982. Pop., 294. Houses, 55. The manor belongs to J. Fitz-patrick, Esq.; and most of the land to Lord Strangford. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, not reported. Patron, the Rev. W. Tylden. The church, except the chancel, was rebuilt in 1846. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £10.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stanford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Shepway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stanford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanford, in Shepway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stanford".