In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Southfleet like this:
SOUTHFLEET, a village and a parish in Dartford district, Kent. The village stands near Watling-street, 3 miles SW of Gravesend r. station; originated in the Roman station Vagniacæ, on Watling-street; was known at Domesday as Suthfleta; took that name and its present one from a flete or creek, which came to it from the Thames at Northfleet, but is now shut out by an embankment; is much frequented by visitors; and has a post-office under Gravesend. The parish contains also the hamlets of Betsam and Westwood, and the gardens of Spring-Head, famous for water-cresses. ...
Acres, 2,340. Real property, £4,856. Pop., 717. Houses, 155. The property is divided among a few. Many Roman relics, including a milestone, a sarcophagus, earthen vessels, glass urns, trinkets, and coins, have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £789.* Patron, the Bishop of R. The church is decorated English. There is an endowed school with £20 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Southfleet has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dartford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Southfleet and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Southfleet, in Dartford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Southfleet".