In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Smeeth like this:
SMEETH, a village and a parish in East Ashford district, Kent. The village stands near the Southeastern railway, 4½ miles ESE of Ashford; was once a market-town; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post-office under Ashford, and fairs on 13 May and 29 Sept. The parish contains also the hamlet of Ridgway, and comprises 1,611 acres. Real property, £2,968. Pop., 486. Houses, 113. The manor, with the Paddock, belongs to E. H. K. Hugessen, Esq. The living is a rectory. Value, £461.* The church is Norman. Charities, £38.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Smeeth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ashford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Smeeth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Smeeth, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Smeeth".