In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sellindge like this:
SELLINGE, a village and a parish in Elham district. Kent. The village stands adjacent to the Southeastern railway, ¾ of a mile E of Smeeth r. station, and 5 N Wby W of Hythe; is a scattered place; and has a post-office‡ under Hythe. The parish includes a detached portion, isolated by Dymchurch; and comprises 2,055acres. Real property, £3, 843. Pop., 580. Houses, 125. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £177.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old but good, and has a low Norman tower. There are a national school, and charities £73.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sellindge has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Shepway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sellindge and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sellindge, in Shepway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sellindge".