In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leysdown on Sea like this:
LEYSDOWN, a parish, with a village, in Sheppey district, Kent; on the NE side of Sheppey isle, 6 miles N of Faversham r. station, and 7½ E by S of Queenborough. Post town, Eastchurch, under Sittingbourne.. Acres, 4,302; of which 2,120 are water. Real property, £3,083. Pop., 215. Houses, 44. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Capt. Hilton. There is a coast-guard station. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Harty, in the diocese of Canterbury. Valne, £300. * Patrons, the Archbishop of Canterbury three turns, and Major Munn one turn. The church is modern, but has portions of an ancient tower. Charities, £11.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Leysdown on Sea has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Swale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Leysdown on Sea and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leysdown on Sea, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Leysdown on Sea".