In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coseley like this:
COSELEY, a village and a chapelry in Sedgley parish, Stafford. The village stands on the Birmingham canal, near the Birmingham and Wolverhampton railway, 1½ mile S of Bilston; and has a post office under Bilston, and a station, jointly with Deepfield, on the railway. The chapelry includes the village and a tract around it; and was constituted in 1832. Pop., 15, 796. Houses, 3, 022. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in the iron and the coal trade. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £250.* Patron, the Earl of Dudley.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Coseley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dudley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Coseley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coseley, in Dudley and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th April 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Coseley".