In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Reculver like this:
RECULVER, a village and a parish in Blean district, Kent. The village stands on the coast, 3 miles E by N of Herne-Bay r. station; takes its name from the Romanstation Regulbium; and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 1, 248 acres of land and 405 of water. Post-town, Herne-Bay, under Canterbury. Real property, £2, 939. Pop., 254. Houses, 52. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Archbishop of Canterbury. Part of the land, in the E and the N E, ismarsh. The coast is partly bluff cliff, partly marsh, protected by a sea-wall; and has suffered much encroachment by the sea. ...
The Roman station of Regulbium was on a cliff overhanging the Thames estuary; guarded astrait dividing the Isle of Thanet from the mainland, and formerly navigable; was garrisoned by the first cohort of the Vetasii, Belgians from Brabant; occupied about 8acres; is still represented by the S and the E walls, originally about 12 feet thick, and now much shattered and covered with ivy and brush-wood; and has yielded manycoins, utensils, and other relics. A palace was built on the station by Ethelbert, king of Kent; and is traditionally, but incorrectly, said to have been his burial-place. A monastery also was founded here in the 7th century; and was annexed to Christchurch, Canterbury. Coast-guard stations are at Reculver and Bishopstone. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Hoath, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £198. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The old church includedsome Roman masonry; was partly Norman, partly early English; suffered much damage by erosion of the sea; was mainly taken down in 1809; and is now represented only by two towers, called the Sisters, and serving as landmarks to mariners, and by a small part of the walls. The new church stands about a mile from the shore.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Reculver has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Canterbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Reculver and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Reculver, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Reculver".