In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Orlestone like this:
ORLESTONE, a hamlet and a parish in East Ashford district, Kent. The hamlet lies ¾ of a mile N of Ham-Street r. station, 2 N of the Grand Military canal, and 5 S by W of Ashford; and has a cattle fair on the last Thursday of Aug. The parish contains also the village of Ham-Street, which has a post-office under Ashford. Acres, 1,825. Real property, £2, 114. Pop., 390. Houses, 77. The property is divided among a few. The manorand much of the land belong to T. Thornhill, Esq. There are brick-fields and extensive woods. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £165. Patron, T. Thornhill, Esq. The church is tolerable; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Orlestone has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ashford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Orlestone and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Orlestone, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Orlestone".