In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton like this:
NORTON, a parish, with a village, in Faversham district, Kent; 2½ miles S S E of Teynham r. station, and 3½ W of Faversham. Post-town, Sittingbourne. Acres, 902. Real property, £2, 105. Pop., 124. Houses, 20. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Norton Court, belongs to the Right Hon. S. R. Lushington. Provender belongs to Dowager Lady Knatch-bull; and Rushett, to J. R. Neame, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £306.* Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church is early English, in good condition; consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; and contains some beautiful mural tablets.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Norton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Swale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Norton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Norton".