In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newnham like this:
NEWNHAM, a village and a parish in Faversham district, Kent. The village stands 5 miles S W of Favers-ham r. station, and 7 S E of Sittingbourne; and has a post-office under Sittingbourne, and a fair on 29 June. The parish comprises 1, 293 acres. Real property, £2, 101. Pop., 409. Houses, 80. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to D. F. Delaune, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £280.* Patrons, the Rev. J. H. Bower and the Executors of the late E. B. Faunce, Esq. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel; and contains a handsome tablet to the Hulse family. There is an Independent parish.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newnham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Swale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newnham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newnham, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newnham".