In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mersham like this:
MERSHAM, a village and a parish in East-Ashford district, Kent. The village stands adjacent to the Tunbridge and Dover railway, 1½ mile NNW of Smeeth r. station, and 3½ SE of Ashford; is a pleasant place; and has a post office under Ashford and a fair on WhitFriday. The parish comprises 2,675 acres. Real property, £5,154. Pop., 752. Houses, 143. The property is much subdivided. Mersham Hatch is the seat of Sir N. J. Knatchbull, Bart.; has belonged to his family since the time of Henry VIII.; and is a red brick mansion, rebuilt in the last century. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £632.* Patron, Oriel College, Oxford. The church is ancient but good; comprises nave, aisles, and two chancels; and contains monuments of the Hatch family. There are an endowed school with £10 a year, and charities £61.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Mersham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ashford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Mersham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mersham, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Mersham".