In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Meopham like this:
MEOPHAM, or MEFFAM, a village and a parish in North Aylesford district, Kent. The village stands 1 mile S of the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, and 5 S of Gravesend; was known to the Saxons as Mealpaham; is a pleasant place, built round a fine green; and has a post office under Gravesend, and a railway station with telegraph. The parish contains also part of the hamlet of Culverstone-Green. Acres, 4,693. Real property, £6,833. Pop. in 1851,1,045; in 1861,1,1 23. Houses, 21 1. The property is much subdivided. ...
The manor has belonged since the 10th century to the Archbishops of Canterbury. Camer is the seat of W. M. Smith, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £500. * Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is partly early English, but chiefly decorated; was commenced by Archbishop Simon de Meopham, and completed by Archbishop Courtenay; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and two porches, with tower and spire; and was renovated in 1859. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Meopham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Gravesham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Meopham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Meopham, in Gravesham and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Meopham".