In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lydden like this:
LYDDEN, a village and a parish in Dover district, Kent. The village stands on Watling-street, adjacent to the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, in a valley between high chalk hills, 2 miles NW of Ewell r. station, and 5 NW of Dover. The parish comprises 1,422 acres; and its Post town is Dover. Real property, £1,453. Pop., 198. Houses, 40. The property is diVided among a few. Considerable springs rise here; and streamlets, flowing from them, have a subterranean course and fall into the sea, under the name of Lydden spouts, from the cliffs at Hougham, about 4 miles distant. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £130.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church was rebuilt in 1833; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lydden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dover. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lydden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lydden, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lydden".