In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newburn like this:
NEWBURN, a village, a township, and a parish, in Castle Ward district, Northumberland. The village stands on the river Tyne, near the Roman wall, 1 mile N E of Ryton r. station, and 5¼ W N W of Newcastle; was styled a borough in the time of King John; containsextensive steel-works; and has a post-office under Blaydon-on-Tyne. The township comprises 635 acres ofland and 155 of water. Pop. in 1851, 938; in 1861, 1,008. Houses, 198. The parish contains also the townships of Newburn-Hall, Sugley, Throckley, Wall-bottle, East Denton, West Denton, Newbiggin, East and West Whorlton, Butterlaw, Black-Callerton, South Dissington, North Dissington, and Dalton. ...
Acres, 11, 566. Real property, £26, 586; of which £645 are in mines, and £4,000 in iron-works. Pop. in 1851, 4, 307; in 1861, 4, 619. Houses, 923. The property is not muchdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. Copsi, in 1072, when quarrelling with Osulph about the earldom of Northumberland, fled from him to Newburn, took refuge in the church, and was murderedby him when attempting to escape. The Scottish army, in 1 640, planted their cannon on the Newburn side of the Tyne; crossed the river, under cover of its fire, to Stellahaugh; and there defeated the royal army under Lord Conway. Coal is largely worked; and several coal-staiths, iron-works, glass-works, chemical-works, brick and tile manufactories, and a paper mill are on the banks of the river. George Stephenson, when a raw lad, drovethe "gin" at Black-Callerton colliery; and he was married to his first wife in Newburn church. Salmon preserves, belonging to the Duke of Northumberland, are at Newburn and Lemington Point. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelries of Holy Trinity and St. Saviour, in the diocese of Durham. Value, £230.* Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church is ancient and cruciform, with a tower; was restored, partly rebuilt, and considerably enlarged in 1827; and contains monuments of the Delavals. There are a chapel of ease, a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £24.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newburn has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newcastle upon Tyne. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newburn and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newburn, in Newcastle upon Tyne and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newburn".